What is ShockWave Therapy?
Shockwave therapy (SWT) is an innovative, safe, and effective method to treat musculoskeletal pathologies.
The term “Shockwave therapy” refers to mechanical pressure pulses that expand as a wave within the human body.
The Swiss DolorCast machine creates these shockwaves/pressure pulses by producing acoustic wave energy which is delivered via the hand held gun to the body region experiencing pain.
How does it work?
SWT stimulates a healing reaction via causing microscopic interstitial and extracellular biological effects, ultimately resulting in tissue regeneration. When shockwaves are applied to a region, where pain is present, there are broad insights into the molecular aspects of analgesic effects, improved circulation, and tissue repair.
Approved indication for ESWT
- Achilles tendinopathy
- Plantar fasciitis
- Medial tibial stress syndrome (shin splints)
- Patella tip syndrome
- Os-good schlatter disease
- Stress fractures and delayed healing fractures
Also indicated for:
- Trigger point therapy
- Delayed onset muscle soreness
- Deep tissue massage for improved recovery post competition
- Muscle spasticity (eg, cerebral palsy)
What do the studies show?
- Relieves pain in more than 80% of patients after just 3-4 treatments.
Who is not suitable ?
- Pregnant women
- Local tumours/cancers
- Local cortisone injection (within 3months)
- Blood disorders or taking blood-thinners
- Patients under 18 (except for muscle spasticity or os-good schlatters)
- Pre ruptured tendon (directly on site)
Are all shockwave machines are the same!
NO ! . We use the Swiss DolorCast Method because it offers:
- The latest technological advances in ESWT
- Treatment efficacy validated by randomized controlled trials (RCT)
- Education done by experts for experts
- WINS AWARDS in medical research !
- Successfully used in athletes during Olympic games
If you are interested to know more about it, don’t hesitate to contact us on 9525 8446.
Dr Vanessa Hadchiti (Podiatrist)